Measuring, Sizing and Selecting an Electric / Power Wheelchair ...
Please note: If you need additional help please call us at 1-800-996-6575 .
Wheelchair Measurement and Sizing Guidelines
Wheelchair measurements are critical for everyday wheelchair users. Use this guide In order to have a comfortable and functional piece of equipment which will meet all their needs and provide for the best possible results. This guide is by no means is perfect and often there are circumstances which require ignoring the basic rules of thumb for measuring a wheelchair however this guide is applicable to approximately 90% of the wheelchair users.
Seat width is usually the width of the user plus 1" to 2".
Seat depth is usually the seat depth of the user less 1" or 2".
Seat height is usually the height of the user where they are able to access tables and transfer without too much difficulty.
The footrest should be the distance from the back of the knee to bottom of the heel while wearing the shoes the user usually wears.
Back height will vary from user to user but normally should be a little above the middle of the back around the bottom of the shoulder blades.
Note: When a wheelchair cushion is used, the thickness of the cushion has to be calculated into the measurements for all of these measurements except the seat depth.
Please Use Our Electric Wheelchair Guide ...
Selecting the best electric wheel chair for you can be somewhat overwhelming and there are some important factors to consider when choosing the right chair for the users needs.
PLEASE NOTE: There are many questions that need to be answered before purchasing any electric wheelchair.
1) What are the physical conditions of the user and can they operate the chair?
2) What is the users height, weight and hip to hip measurements?
3) Does the user need special seating adjustments or options including an elevating seat, headrest or cushion etc.?
4) Will the user need special footrest / platform adjustments or options like swing-away or elevating footrests?
5) Where will the user be operating the chair? (in home, outdoors, shopping, parks, vacations, rough terrain)
6) Will the user need to transport it inside the trunk of a car, SUV, outside a van, truck on a carrier, power lift / hoist?
7) If the user requires a travel power wheel chair can they break down and lift the heaviest piece into the car?
8) Will the user need to climb steep hills, driveways, sidewalks streets and roads?
9) Does the user require a long range power wheelchair and additional battery packs?
10) Will the user need ramps for threshold's, doorways, home entrance and vehicle's?
As you can see, there are many questions to take into consideration...
We always recommend calling us before you purchase any electric wheelchair.